Monday, August 30, 2010

What kind of friend are you anyway???

I wish my friends would stop offering me coffee. Sometimes it's really hard to say no! I mean really, what kind of friends are they anyway??? I come up with this crazy idea to eat crappy food for 40 days and instead of saying "you're an idiot" or "great idea, but we'd be impressed if you did it for a week, 40 days is a bit of overkill", they encourage me! Thanks guys. You know who you are! :)

In the last few days, I've really started to see some of the side effects of what I'm eating (or not eating). The main change I've notices is in my brain - it takes just a little bit longer to process thoughts and get the right words out, and I have to really stop and concentrate when someone is speaking to me sometimes. It's like everything in my head is working just half a beat slower than the rest of the world. I've also notices my motivation and energy levels have dropped, and I'm wanting to sleep a little more - I'm definitely feeling lethargic these days - and it's not due to lack of sleep for once! While I have not yet been to a refugee camp, I have read a lot about them, heard a lot of stories from people who have been in them, and seen a fair amount of photos and video footage, and the one thing I'm starting to understand (even just a week in to this thing) is how easy it is to lose motivation and hope. My life is still extremely interesting - I'm busy, I have friends, plans...I have hope - yet the effects of eating the same thing day in and day out are already starting to have an impact on my outlook on life, and the amount of energy I can muster to enjoy what I do have. I cannot imagine a life with out hope, or a live lived in fear or despair, where every day is the same, and with no view to change any time soon. How blessed I am!

The next 10 days or so will be interesting...I'm off on a trip south to spend some time with relatives. I'm sure they'll think I'm a little strange for embarking on this journey, but they're used to my strangeness by now!

I had to go to the supermarket earlier today to pick up a few things I need for my trip, and I must admit I spent a few minutes wandering around in the produce section, inhaling the aromas of bananas and tomatoes and oranges and avocados and dirt (past the potato section!)...man oh man, it smelt great! My nose is becoming fine tuned to anything that smells like not-rice...last night at the markets was a veritable feast for the olfactory nerves! Can't wait to dig into dinner from Mr Potato Man next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment